Thursday, April 16, 2020

27A - Reading Reflection No. 3



How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams

1)    What was the general theme or argument of the book?
After reading this book, I found that the general overall theme is to take a step back and look at the big picture of things.  Avoiding the small parts of problems and focusing on how every time one fails, they are getting closer to the goal.  The author explains how he failed at a lot, but kept going forward.
2)    How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
I just finished the last assignment about failure and had been able to reflect on my own this semester.  When writing that particular assignment, I thought about this book a lot and how it related to my personal failures.
3)    If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would design something similar to the last assignment we just had, but add a little bit more to it.  The assignment would ask about a failure when they were young (in elementary school) and then present day and compare the two.
4)    What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
The biggest ‘aha’ moment for me was reading about how successful people never wish to be successful, they put forth the effort in pursuing it and the price is what you’re willing to pay.  Overall, I thought this was a great read, especially since I am a senior and graduating college this May going out into the real world. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla,

    Great job! In my opinion, your reflection was very correct to the book because I also read this book and it was amazing to be able to strengthen that fear and concern at the word "failure". I agree with the answers in your post, it is wonderful to know that if we fail it is a good way to learn from mistakes and improve for the next attempt but never give up. This book was spectacular to reflect on our lives. I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kayla,
    I also enjoyed this book and thought it was very informative and interesting. The author talked about his own countless failures over and over again until he eventually created his comic strip that made him into the millionaire he is today. I think his story also highlights the fact that you don't necessarily need to be an expert at something in order to be successful, rather you can combine all your average, but unique, skills to find success.

    ReplyDelete